Signed in as:
Signed in as:
Carron Baptist Church was organized in 1928 by the late Reverend Patrick H. Yancy (Bessie), a native of Louisa County, VA. The church was named after the Carone Baptist Church of Pittsburg, PA. The first members of the church included Sisters Lola Beckett, Eliza Nixon, Florence Wood; Deacons Harry Fentress, Gideon Hickerson, John Ellis and Lawrence Montgomery; Reverends Malachi Hickerson and Robert P. Gainey (who later became pastor of the Corinthian Baptist Church, D.C.). Sister Emma Curry was later added as a minister. The chairmen of the Deacon Board have been: Deacons Robert Gainey, John Ellis, Gideon Hickerson, Eugene Buckner, Bernard Wilson, Sr., Bobby Thurston, and our present chairman, Harold Talley. The chairmen of the Trustee Board have been: Deacon David Lindsey, Deacon Harry Fentress, Deacon James Brown, Deacon Vollie H. Smith, Trustee Clarence C. Smith, and our present chairman, Trustee Dorothy Edmunds.
The church has been located at 6 ½ and M streets, N.W.; 12th and V Streets, N.W., 3102-04 Georgia Avenue, N.W., and the present site, 1354 first Street, S. W.
Rev. Yancy was a dedicated man of God, and a great leader who worked untiringly. His health began to fail in 1949, and he was called home on June 28, 1952. During his illness, the church secured the services of Rev. H. Ellis Turner (Virginia N), a native of Washington and a son of the Salem Baptist Church. In 1953, he was called as pastor. Under Rev. Turner’s leadership, the membership increased, and the mortgage was burned for the Georgia Avenue location. The following ministers were added during his tenure: David Foster, Abraham Colston, Thomas J. Blair, Sr., Eugene Burton and Nehemiah Rhinehart. On December 3, 1967, the church accepted Rev. Turner’s resignation.
From December 1967 until May 1968, the church was without a shepherd. Deacon Wilson, a stalwart soldier, with God’s help and the aid of a strong Joint Board, was able to keep the church together. On May 13, 1968, Rev. Leroy Waldo (Delores S.), a native of Madison, Fl. and a son of the Mt. Airy Baptist Church, was called as pastor. Rev. Thomas Blair was elected as Assistant Pastor and the first Director of Christian Education. Under Rev. Waldo’s leadership, the church purchased the present edifice in 1970. The church was completely renovated and in 1980 the mortgage was burned. The Day Care Center, under Carron’s direction, began operating and the Youth Department was begun. Rev. Waldo, though physically blind, was never a handicapped person. He attempted to instill love in the church family. Ministers added during his tenure were: Lester W. Allen, Alex Lambert, Edith Burton and Elizabeth Arnold. On February 4, 1983, he was called from labor to reward.
On May 19, 1984, Rev. John Morgan Lewis (Ernestine), was called as pastor. He was an inspirational teacher and preacher. Noon Day Bible study and the Leroy Waldo Scholarship were initiated. The first Vacation Bible School was held while Rev. Lewis was pastor. Several ministers were called: Willie Jenkins, Kevin Simmons, Melvin Smith, Jacqueline Waldo, Cynthia Douglas, Stan Murray and Wilbur Guice. Rev. Lewis resigned in October 1987.
In 1987, Rev. Lester W. Allen (Lorraine), a native Washingtonian and a son of Carron, was called as pastor. Rev. Allen was rooted and grounded in the Word of God. His desire was for the church family to catch the same vision. Programs initiated by him included: Discipleship training, Reading the Bible through in one year, Scripture memorization, Stewardship Accountability, the Planning Committee and the organization of the Administrative staff. The ministries included Chemical Dependency and Recovery and Biblical Counseling. Sis. Doris Jones was named as Director of Christian Education. Oather Burney (1993) and Marc Ware (1996) became licensed ministers. Rev. James Lyons, Rev. Christopher Jackson and Rev. Reginald Audrick were added as associate ministers. In April 2006, Bro. Malcolm Robinson received his license as a minister of Carron.
During his tenure, Rev. Allen appointed Deacon Bobby Thurston as Chairman of the Deacon Board and Bro. Harold Talley as Deacon, and Bro. Darnell Hansberry as Deacon-in-training; Sis. Dorothy Edmunds as Chairman of Trustees; and Sis. Patricia Sullivan, Sis. Gloria Whyte and Bro. Raynard Stover as Trustees. He established an Evangelism Committee with Sis. Avizz Wright as Director. Sis. Grace Turner was appointed Superintendent of Christian Education, and Sis. Jacqueline Day as Director of Counseling ministry. Fellowship with the Washington Aging Service was developed with the residents at the nursing home on every 5th Sunday. Rev. Allen encouraged members to always pray, prepare, plan and promote when accepting leadership responsibility. Rev. Allen’s health began to fail, and he secured the service of Minister Roderick McLaughlin to assist him during his illness. On June 5, 2015, Rev. Allen answered his final call to our Savior.
From June 2015 until January 2018, the church was again without a shepherd. Through prayers of Deacon Thurston, the chairman, officers, church members, and support of Rev. McLaughlin and others, God kept the church together.
On January 11, 2018, Rev. Peter J, Spann (Shurlonda), a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, was elected as pastor and began ministry on February 4, 2018. Rev. Spann is a gifted preacher and teacher of God’s Word. His ministry extends beyond the walls of the church. He emphasizes spiritual growth, cultural identity, community outreach and civic engagement as ways to facilitate change in the surrounding neighborhoods.
Pastor Spann shared his vision that God gave him with the church. From that vision, a community choir was born to promote unity and community involvement, and a breakfast for the community to assure them the church is here for them, and a Vision Team. Under his leadership, the church has installed a Lift that enables the seniors or those unable to take the steps, to join worship services in the upper main sanctuary.